Monday, July 7, 2008

How about a little canine motivation?

Has your doctor said you need to excercise. Now when you think of excercising, you think of a gym and all that fancy equipment or classes like joga or jazzersize.......Hmmmmmmmmmm! Definitely not in my lifestyle or daily routine. Then you have to have a friend around just to get you motivated, at least I do..hahahahahaha. In my case, my friends have their own lives and families to take care of and they are always just to tired. Which means I don't go either cause it's just no fun doing something like that alone.....
But exercising doesn't necessarily mean going to a gym or some class, it can be walking, jogging, or running at your own pace. I  have to tell you I'm not a loner, so I still need someone to go with me to keep me motivated or at least some company on my new routine.

 I found the greatest motivation to be my pet...they never have an excuse not to go, nor do they tell you what time of the day or day of the week to go......wow, how great is that?

Now Keep in mind........Dogs can run (or walk) farther and faster than people, but that doesn't mean they should leap off the sofa and run for miles. If they are just starting out like you or I, they need to build up gradually. If it happens to be a puppy, avoid exercising to strenuously for to long to avoid damaging their developing bones and joints. In addittion, dogs that are older or recovering from an injury or illness may need to take it a little easier or excercise for shorter periods. For instance, you can switch from a 30 minute run or walk to 2 15 minute walks a day.
 Swimming can also be a great alternative to running or walking. However, I don't know of anyplace public that allows you to swim with your pets So unless you have your own pool, this would definitely be out of the equation.
Always avoid excercising during the hottest part of the day. This is definitely a no no for both you and your pet. Dawn, dusk and after dark are often the best times, but that depends on the area you live in.

Don't have a pet to excercise with you? Visit your local pet shelters to adopt one. They have thousands who are waiting to be adopted, loved and excercised by people like myself and you.

Can't have a pet where you live? Then donate your time to excercising pets at a local animal shelter. Almost all shelters are in need of volunteers to excercise their animals. You'll never have to be alone to exercise again.......








lil Country Paws Doggie Dress-Up